Saturday, August 11, 2012

Shelf Candy Saturday #5


This meme where the designer, photographer and/or illustrator of a favorite cover is featured is hosted by A Night's Dream of Books. I loved the idea since I always want to read a book when the cover is gorgeous. Bad habit, I know!

...............
This week I chose a cover of a book which is based on one of the classic stories of one of my favorite authors, Edgar Allan Poe.

Title: Masque of the Red Death
Author: Bethany Griffin
Series: Masque of the Red Death, #1
About the book (GR):

Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them. (more)

Designer: Paul Zakris

From the Under the Green Willow blog

"Paul Zakris has been designing books for the last twenty-five years. He’s been doing children’s books for twenty years and has been with Greenwillow Books for the last eight years. Boy, is he tired!"


What I love about the cover (besides the colors *grins*):

I love the whole air of mystery the cover brings. I also love death being represented by the barren landscape she is in.

8 comments:

  1. I've seen this book everywhere and like you, I want to read because of the cover AND because it's based on Poe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first thoughts upon seeing the cover were: "Oooh, pretty! I want it!". Then, once my brain started working rationally again, I thought "That's the name of one of Poe's stories!" So, yeah if you are a fan of Poe this book will definitely be calling out to you. I haven't read it, but I hope I can change that soon. If you read it before me, I'd love to know your thoughts about it.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Yea, this cover is really cool!! I didn't even realize it was based on poe's... which is silly now that I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful choice! I saw this cover and wanted it too! I love Poe, actually my first bunny was named after him- Edgar.
    Have you read it yet? It think it looks fantastic. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No, I haven't read it yet. I'm hoping it's good when I finally do. If you manage to read it before me, I'd love to read your review.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Lis!

    Although I am by no means a Poe fan, I can still appreciate the beauty of this cover! It's simply STUNNING. I love the composition -- the woman stands out against a blurred background, and the red of her gown and umbrella gleams like a ruby! I love the black gloves, too, and her sleek black hair. That's why I have my hairdresser blow-dry my hair so it's SUPER straight. It looks very chic. (Although I also love the hair on last week's cover.)

    Thank you so much for participating in Shelf Candy Saturday, and for this absolutely GORGEOUS cover!! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is stunning. No problem, this is one of my favorites memes. Books, almost always, get a hold of me because of their covers and through this I can share that love with other book lovers. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE this cover!! I had no idea what it was about when I first saw it but I knew I wanted it. Not that I usually judge a book by its cover, because I don't, but this one was simply gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!!

    http://delibrarie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete