Saturday, August 18, 2012

Shelf Candy Saturday #6: "Dance of Shadows"


This is a meme where the designer, photographer and/or illustrator of a favorite cover is featured is hosted by A Night's Dream of Books. I loved the idea since I always want to read a book when the cover is gorgeous. Bad habit, I know!
---------------------------

This week I'm going to be featuring a cover which I think it's gorgeous! As you may also notice, I seem to be developing a fixation for covers with red and black.

Title: Dance of Shadows
Author: Yelena Black
Series: Dance of Shadows, #1
Publisher: Bloomsbury U.S.A. Children's Books
Designer: Natalie Shau
deviantart
Website

Why I like it:

Besides the cover being completely enthralling, I love how it portrays the book's name, "Dance of Shadows". She's literally dancing in a dark, smokey and shadowy place. I also love the way her red dress disintegrates into rose petals which go upwards just in the direction her gaze is concentrating on. Her pose seems to convey, she's in a dancing thrall or probably dancing under the huge burden of having to carry the family legacy since there's no joy in her face as she moves.

I checked out Natalie Shau's other works and they are equally amazing, some even more.

About the book (from GR):
"Vanessa Adler isn’t so sure she really belongs at the School of American Ballet. But dance runs in her family. It’s been a part of her life for as long as she can remember. Her grandmother and mother were prima ballerinas, and her older sister Margaret was, too. That is, until Margaret mysteriously disappeared from school three years ago. Vanessa is heir to the family’s gift and the only person who can fulfill her sister’s destiny. She has no choice.

But she never could have guessed how dangerous the school is. The infamous choreographer, Josef, isn’t just ruthless with his pupils, he guards a sinister secret, one in which the school’s dancers—prized for their beauty, grace, and discipline—become pawns in a world of dark, deadly demons."

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Lis!

    Thanks so omuch for participating in "Shelf Candy Saturday", and always leaving such nice comments on my posts!

    The cover you've picked this week is absolutely STUNNING. It's brilliantly designed! Those rose petals floating off into the air as the girl dances are just amazing -- they draw the eye in right away. The mist rising around her, slowly filling up the black background, contributes to the feeling that something very mysterious, very eerie, is going on.

    I, too, love read, black, and white covers, although I haven't featured any yet. I'll have to find some!

    Thanks for sharing this GORGEOUS cover!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I LOVE your blog's new look!! (I also liked the previous one, too. GREAT job on both!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cover! I had seen this online a day ago and was struck by it. Gorgeous! The colors, the concept, the drama...love it. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting cover! It's definitely eye catching.

    ReplyDelete